Florida or Bust!

As a family, we have decided to walk the distance from Bennington to Orlando, Florida before Elder Burdick completes his mission. Together we hope to have walked 2298 miles before October 2009. And maybe be a size or two smaller!! Thank you Lara for up-dating our count down. Start Walking!!!

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Transferred

Things have been going great here! We were so stoked, we had 6 investigators at church, two of which have bap dates, and a couple of them were people we just tracted into! We had an awesome experience with Mark, he is a guy in his mid 30s that we tracted into earlier in the week, and right off the bat we knew that he was Golden, he asked us all the right questions, he has been on a soul search for the truth, and just by studying the bible on his own, he knows that the authority of God is important, so he asked where and how he can find it, and he asked about Prophets in our day, and he even said "this might sound a lil crazy but I believe there is a literal spirit world where our bodies go before resurrection, where we can continue to learn and grow! Anyway he showed up to church yesterday and loved it, he stayed the 3 hours, and then after church it was just him and us in the chapel teaching him for about an hour or so, he said I love all of it, I really do, I just want to know about Baptism! It was awesome!

Another one of our investigators that was at church that has a bap date is Kacy Kemp, she is 18 years old and is living on Patrick air force base, she just entered the air force 6 months ago and is from North Dakota! When one of our members out there (an R.M.:-) invited over to another members place to play board games she asked if there was going to be alcohol, because she wont come if there is, he said, "nope, we are all mormons" and she didn't know what that meant, she had never heard of the church before! Her father and mother raised them going to a number of different churches, mostly presbyterian, and she was very confused about religion growing up, but we have started teaching her, and she is flying through the Book of Mormon, and she LOVES it! She already believes it is true, and she is so excited to be baptized. in her own words "this time the right way and for good" It is awesome, I can totally see this becoming one of those stories where he baptizes her and they get married in the temple! I hope so at least:-)

Our other date is Beth Ryan, she has had a date before, but this time she said that she is ready to "cut the crap" and she is giving up smoking! She is being so stalwart and is doing so good!

Orlando Florida Mission Home
Things are going so good in this area, I am very sad to leave, I got the phone call on Saturday Morning, and President gave me a new assignment, there is a zone called La Zona Hispana, and it encompasses all of the spanish missionaries in all of the actual city of Orlando, all in all about 12 companionships i believe, anyway he wants me to go there and be a Zone Leader over there, he told me some of the challenges and problems they have been having there, and since I have never served in the city, he told me to go in and "fix it". I don't know exactly what has been going on, but I am very excited to be serving in the heart of Orlando, and since our spanish zone covers all of orlando, I will get to see the entire city! I am really excited to be in full time spanish work again to! And I get to see all of the missionaries from my mtc district that I haven't seen in 14 months! It is going to be great, I hear that this is the best spanish ward in the whole mission too! but I am so sad to leave this area, I love this area so much! I love our investigators and I feel intertwined with each and every one of them, and I feel like a family member of each family in the ward! Bishop called me up from the congregation to come and leave them with a talk and a testimony, I couldn't believe how hard that was to testify while looking at the ward and people I have come to love so much!  Last night we drove around after our lessons and I got to say goodbye to some of our investigators and members, I greatly dislike being transferred, you get so involved and intertwined with all of these people then you have to say goodbye! I know that I have friendships that will last a life time here! I am really sad about leaving my companion, Elder Green, he has become my best friend out here, I have always loved my companions, but we had a perfect companionship, I love him! I am going to be way sad to say goodbye, at least I will still see him at zone leader meetings and stuff!

Orlandoskyline

My new apartment is about 1/4 mile from Pres and Sis Darrington's home and about 2 miles from the mission office, so as far as mail goes, just use the mission office address, it will get there really quick and I can just pick it up from there when we drive past.  I better go because i still have to do alot of packing, I love you all so much and I am praying for you!

Love,  Elder Burdick

No comments: